Thursday, November 25, 2010

Break Time

Since my last post, things have gotten a lot better regarding some of the issues that I posted about. I had a good talk with my supervisor, and I am definitely optimistic about the effectiveness of my personality as both an RA and a teacher. I have come to the conclusion that it will definitely benefit both my residents and students in the long term. I also know that it will take time to see the results, but it is totally worth it. I'm just happy that I can see all of this now instead of the first year of my teaching. In other words, this job is definitely opening my eyes to many things that will help when I start teaching.
Here's what has happened since my last post:
-One of my suites was written up two more times. After the third one, I decided to talk about the whole situation with them, and I feel like it went pretty well. We ended up have a good discussion regarding many issues related with write ups. I'm hoping that they've learned from these experiences. As for me, I reminded myself that I just need to let these incidents go because I have no control over what happens in each suite. I can talk to my residents about being safe and being smart. Yet, I just have to trust that they will be responsible. They are adults, but just need guidance here and there.
-As part of my job, I have to things called "Community Builders," and I have certain requirements each month. This past week I had a really successful "Holiday Party" with my residents. Thirteen showed up, and all of them were from different suites. I've realized that when I do planned community builders (builders are either planned or spontaneous) it is good to get my residents' input. It gives them more motivation to come since it is catered to them. It was definitely evident with the party. I decided to see if anybody would want to go, and when I got enough yes's, I went around asking what people would want to eat. I took all that information to memory and made sure I had what people wanted. I'm definitely going to get input for my future planned community builders
-I've been doing house points since the beginning of the year, and it has been pretty successful. Most of my suites have gotten into the house point mood and have been really enthusiastic about getting points. Right now, I have two suites competing for the top. This semester's competition ends on Reading Day, and the winners will get free milkshakes
-Thanksgiving Break: I'm just happy that I am on break. I really needed it and am happy that I'm getting the chance to be home. Sunday just needs to get here REALLY slowly.
-Checkouts: At Elon, checkouts are done before big breaks. This is a time to make sure residents turn everything off, unplug stuff, take out the trash, and other things that should be done before leaving for a long period time. Health and Safety checks are also done at this time. These checks are done to make sure our residents have nothing illegal. Thankfully, my checks went pretty smoothly, and many of my residents were cooperative during the time. I found nothing illegal, and many of them did everything they needed to do. They are really good residents, and I am thankful for that.

I think that's it for now. My next post will just be a huge reflection on my first semester. Until then, have a Happy Thanksgiving, and for those on break, have a safe and relaxing time.

Jefe

No comments:

Post a Comment